Position: Postdoctoral Fellow - Transit Planning and Scheduling
Unit: University of Toronto Transportation Research Institute
Address: 35 St. George St., Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1A4
Term: March 1, 2017 (or soon thereafter) – December 31, 2018
The incumbent will be responsible for key research tasks within a collaborative research programme between the University of Toronto and Trapeze, a transit software and services solutions provider. The goal is to develop a cloud-based scheduling and planning solution that jointly optimizes both facets. As a key member of the research team, using their scientific knowledge and experience, the incumbent will be required to perform the following specific tasks:
- Overseeing the development and implementation of a joint optimization method for transit tactical route planning decisions with transit scheduling.
- Developing and implementing a simulation-based joint optimization method for route/crew/vehicle timetables with efficient transfers.
- Managing the development of a scheduling module as a cloud service.
- Guiding and overseeing undergrad and graduate students, and managing the development of project reports and research papers.
- PhD degree completed within the last five (5) years in a field related to transportation planning and operations.
- Demonstrated experience in transit planning and scheduling and the relevant quantitative methods used in research and practice.
- Experience in processing and analyzing transit data from Automated Data Collection Systems.
- Experience in simulation methods particularly as applied to transit system analysis.
- Knowledge and experience in optimization techniques and programming using optimization software, in particular ILOG CPLEX.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent inter-personal skills.
The Postdoctoral Fellow will report to Professor Amer Shalaby.
Qualified candidates are asked to submit a cover letter, detailed curriculum vita and the names and contact information of two referees to Dr. Siva Srikukenthiran at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Toronto Transportation Research Institute thanks all applicants for their interest. However, only those applicants considered for this position will be contacted. Application Deadline: January 31, 2017
Salary for this position will be commensurate with qualifications and experience, and University of Toronto policies. It will be in the range of $50,000-$60,000 per year. The standard benefits package for postdoctoral fellow positions at the University of Toronto will be applied.